Monday, March 14, 2016

Week #8 Semana Dos in the field

Kansas Wichita Mission Office
                                                                                   
Monday, March 14, 2016

Hola

I hope everyone has had a great week. Quite a few things happened this
week out here in Garden City. As for a quick update I am currently on
the office with two office elders. I am here until I can start to
adjust a little bit better. I'm not sure what the plan is for after
the office if things get better.

Week two with the work was a lot better for sure. Since Elder Yardley
and I were both new to our area we knew absolutely nobody. What we did
is jut went through our book that tells us about investigators or less
active members and tried to visit as many people as possible. We have
the sweetest recent convert. He is a massive barrel chested 6 foot 3
guy who used to be a gang member, used to be going down the wrong
road. He took a complete 180 degree turn and is a stud. His testimony
is so strong, he gave up his "fame" to being wealthy and living the
"worldly life" to being dirt poor living pay check to paycheck. But he
said that doesn't matter to him because he has the Gospel of Jesus
Christ and that is all that matters. So powerful, we all need to be
more like Jason. What is it that is holding us back from having that
100% happiness and joy that we get from having Jesus Christ as our
main focus.

We met with a sister who Is less active. She has been having a really
rough time these past few years. About a year ago her baby boy passed
away at 24 days old and that just led to her getting into trouble to
try and ease her pain. Her and her fiancé who just got out of jail are
struggling trying to find a job. The best thing is they realize that
they need to make a change in their lives and the only way that
they're going to be Able to do that is through Christ. We had them
each read Alma 36. I love this story in the Book of Mormon. It's about
a prophet, Alma, now when he was young he was an AWFUL person. He was
leading people away from God, telling them he wasn't real, and just a
sinner. He has an experience where an angel appeared unto him and
suddenly all of his sins and iniquities were brought unto his
remembrance. Alma was struck dumb for 3 days and 3 nights "even with
the pains of a damned soul"(Alma 36:16). Alma then cried unto the Lord
to have mercy on him and so it was. "Oh what joy and what marvelous
light was filled with joy as exceeding as was my pain!" We then
explained to Audra and her fiancé that they too can experience this
same feeling. I love this story, Alma became one of the greatest men
in the Book of Mormon. We all can become great through Christ and His
Atonement, we all can receive this joy and happiness in our lives. We
are excited to keep working with Audra and her fiancé.

We had stake conference this weekend, which was great because I got to
see Elder Sperry (MTC companion) and catch up with him.

Elder Sperry and I


 He's killing it out in Liberal while I'm having this setback.  I'm trying to push
through it. I know that with Christ I can overcome this struggle that
I am going through. President and Sister Bell have been such a
blessing to me. I'm so grateful they are allowing me to stay at the
office to try and get adjusted better. I have felt so much love from
the both of them, I'm grateful to be here in Kansas.
Les Quiero


Con Amor,

Elder Pilkington




No comments:

Post a Comment